From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:07:07 -0500
Hi Tom,

As has been said, you will make a lot more contacts CQing than s and p.
It's just a matter of timing  and practice is the only way to get better.

On SSB I always repeat the other guys info and type it in as I say it.

When KA3ABC calls me I type in his call as I say it back to him, then give
my exchange.  He comes back with his exchange "You're 59 number 126".  I say
"Thanks for the 126" as I type the number in.  If I think there is a chance
I got the number wrong I'll end with "QSL?" He will either say "QSL" or make
a correction.  Then I go  to "QRZ".

I also prefer headphones.   I've used computer in 1 ear and radio in the
other, but right now I run both in both ears and adjust  volume to suit my
preference.  As Dave said, the more you trust your typing the less you will
need the computer voice.

For ssb a voice keyer makes  things faster and you don't lose track of
serial numbers.

Have fun, look for me in the contest. .
Steve KW3A