Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:54:14 -0500
Christy > "A friend of my son who ate Paleo for 3 months stopped when
everybody around him called him slow. He was not slow at all, he turned
into a more common pace but it was just not what he was used to and so
where his friends. He slept better, could concentrate more but was less
fun since he stopped being the dare-devil they all looked up to."

This point cannot be emphasized enough for those trying to escape ADD.  As
Christy suggests, the impression that you're "slow" has nothing to do with
mental or cognitive ability and everything to do with the fact that both
your family and almost everyone you choose to associate with pre dietary
change are ADD as well.  Getting the normal biochemistry back makes you
seem slow in comparison.

I had exactly the same experience when I started the diet.  Although I was
just as bright, cheery, and intellectually sharp as before, my mother in
law isn't used to gaps between sentences from any of her family or friends
;-)  She talked to my wife privately and said she was worried about my new
diet because I was now, and I quote, "slow."

And I also with Christy's comment that ADD is no fun and is hardly
advantageous in any situation.  It is a true disorder.

Let me reiterate one thing.  There are three hurdles for those wishing to
get beyond ADD.  First is biochemistry.  Follow a relatively strict
version of the paleo diet and. almost miraculously, that is taken care of.
 Second has to do with unlearning behaviors and habits learned over a
lifetime.  Those habits were necessary perhaps for a person stuck in
overdrive.  But once you turn the overdrive off, there's no longer any
need for them.  Identifying some of these might be difficult.  The third
is family and friends.  You cannot, and if you can you should not, get rid
of your family.  Although they might express it in varying ways, the odds
are that EVERY one of your immediate blood relatives have ADD.  The same
goes for the majority of your friends.  I don't know what to tell you
other than the fact that you might need to convert as much of your family
as you can, those of your friends you care to, and limit contact with the
rest.