Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:32:39 EDT

Thank you all for sending me help on medications for post-op surgery.  I did
find, in my personal archives, some pain killers that were safe for me.  They
are strong, but the surgeon was thrilled I (you people - she had to rack her
brain to remember what celiac was)  had done so much homework.  I faxed her
what I knew was safe for me before surgery and it made her (our) experience go a
lot smoother afterwards.
I took Meperidine/Prometh.... It's Demerol.  The Meperidine/Prometh  is a
capsule... demerol can cause nausea but the Prometh counteracts that.  There is a
Meperidine Tablet (tiny) that she said is a bit stronger than the capsule...
yes it causes nausea.  I went with the capsule .... no matter what the
ingredients say, tablets tend to worry me.
I don't know if any of you have had trouble with anesthesia, but I always
have.  Any surgery or tests that can be done with 'conscious sedation' or what I
was always told was 'twilight anesthesia' is a nightmare to me.... I become
immobile, but am totally awake and can feel everything!!  And the nasty part is
I remember it all!! Plus there has always been complications to the extent of
them bringing in more doctors just to finish procedures and keep me alive.
So.... no matter how minor the surgery or procedure, I have to have LONG
conversations with the anesthetist and make sure I get general anesthesia and am out
cold.  It tends to make things a bit more complicated getting everything
organized, but once that is done I go through surgery and/or procedures with a lot
more confidence in the people taking care of me.

Summary of meds:

Demerol is gf

Codeine by itself is certainly not a wheat or gluten derivative. The
question is, with what has it been compounded. A search of the PDR turns up
four products, three are compounded with acetaminophen: Tylenol with
codeine elixer, Tylenol with codeine tablets, and Phrenilin with caffeine
and codeine capsules. The fourth, Soma Compound with Codeine tablets, is
Aspirin, Carisoprodol (a "centrally-acting muscle relaxant"), and Codeine
Phosphate. It contains starch in the fillers--presumably corn, but that
still means you probably shouldn't take it. Ask your doc what s/he meant by
asking about codeine--a lot of people are just flat out allergic to it.

Sorry this doesn't help you find some meds you can take. You might ask your
doc about getting hydrocodone (part of the formula of Vicodin) compounded
without the acetaminophen that's in Vicodin, or getting Percodan (oxycodone
and aspirin) compounded without the starch that's in the filler. There's a
compounding pharmacy in Colorado, called College Pharmacy
<http://www.collegepharmacy.com/>, that would do it if you have your doctor
send them a prescription, but I'm sure you'd need more lead time than if
you can get it done locally.

codeine and I don't get along

I take Percodan (well now technically "endodan" the generic form since
Percodan is no longer made) for pain.  I was assured by the company that it is
definitely gluten-free.  Not sure about the other things though.  Good Luck!

Codeine itself is GF, the problem is with the fillers used to make the
tablet.  Codeine makes me nauseous, so I don't take it any way.  Last May I
came home after abdominal surgery with
"Panmist LA 800/80 ErTab Pan"
which I heard a nurse refer to as "Darvocet".  It worked quite well for me,
I hope it might work for you.  I am intolerant of gluten, lactose, and eggs.

I was given Darvocet and i have the same allergies as you. No problem except
when I took it for more than 2 weeks, I got jerky movements in my legs and
arms. IT must have affected my nervous system but by that time, I was able to
discontinue taking it every 4 hours.

Ultram,  50MG.

Depends on the type of surgery.  IV's are always gf, cf, corn free, etc.  I
had major surgery, in-hospital for 3 days, and had an IV pump and no trouble.
Your doctor should work with you to decrease your discomfort in a safe manner.

Ask the pharmacist--but I take codeine often for migraines, with no problems
(some constipation).  Codeine is poppy - based, not wheat based!  Good luck
with your surgery.

Thank you all for your help and best wishes.  I am back on my feet and doing
well.
Martha, NM