From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:25:26 -0500
Whether you'll need to unplug everything probably depends on how convenient
it is to get at your computer, remove the cover, and be able to reach inside
of the main box.  Usually, I find it much easier to be able to work on the
computer, after I've removed all the external cables, since towers will need
to be laid on their sides, anyway.

I know that David Gillet recommended leaving the power cable connected, but
I'd like to add a qualifier to that.  This is only a good idea with newer
computer if they have a power switch on the back of the power supply that
you can turn off.  (Or, you have your system plugged into a surge protector
with a power switch that you can turn off.)  Most newer motherboards
maintain a "standby" current, which means that many of the components are
still "hot", even when the computer is off.  Some motherboards will have an
LED that glows when they are turned off and still receiving this standby
current, but many do not.

In any case, because it is too easy for me to overlook whether I've switched
the power supply off or not, I just make it a rule to yank the power supply
cord before I go messing around inside the case.  Make sure that you touch
the metal chassis, itself, before touching any components, in order to drain
off any static electricity.

You should be able to simply add your extra memory stick to an open memory
slot.  Note that the bottom of the memory stick is "keyed" or has a slot in
it.  It can only be put into your memory slot in one orientation.  So, if it
doesn't seem to want to go in, make sure that you have it turned the right
way.  Push it in with fairly even pressure.  When it is all the way in
place, the little levers on either side of the slot should have come up from
their down positions.

John