EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:25:19 -0500
While looking for ideas on what to eat, before, during and after exercise,
in addition to the ones presented in the past here, and the reasoning for
them, I came across Rob Faigin's book "Natural Hormone Enhancement."  From
the title, you can correctly infer that the book has a program similar to
what is being discussed here.  While the centerpiece of the book is a
ketogenic diet with a burst of carbo-loading every 3 or 4 days (for hormonal
reasons as well as glycogen storage), it discusses in detail many subjects
like sunlight exposure and sleep.  What impresses me about the book is
Faigin's arguments and support for them.  Most assertions are backed up by
several footnotes.  The book contains thousands of references to what seem
to be reputable scientific journals.

Though I don't plan to follow a ketogenic diet, NHE serves as a useful
reference.

One major difference between the book and Evolutionary Fitness is the
awareness of power laws and dynamic systems.  Faigin doesn't mention these
things at all, but he's also not guilty of linear thinking.

You can find marketing materials and instructions on how to obtain the book
at the following website:
http://www.extique.com/

(Faigin's book has an interesting marketing and distribution model worthy of
study: the book can only be obtained through specialty stores; you can't
find it in the bookstores.  Given the relative complexity of the book, he
probably saw that there was not a large enough an audience in the mass
market to be reached with limited marketing dollars and opted to reach his
natural audience--avid self-improvers--where they shop.  I do wonder how the
book volume * profit margin compares with what he could get from Barnes and
Noble's iUniverse self-publication system (printing and distribution) or
distribution through Amazon.  I suspect the difference is the treatment of
the book as a product in his current system, like amino acid powder, versus
treatment as a book, with their respective differing mark-ups by their
retailers.)

Ming