Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:58:06 EDT

I just returned from two months in Europe and had a wonderful experience
finding GF foods.  In the hopes that this might help, here goes:

ENGLAND
The disease is extremely well known in Britain and many Britons are now
eating GF by choice.  Every restaurant I went to understood the problem
and knew
what to do.  In one place, the assistant chef came out and crossed through all
the non-GF options on a photocopy of the menu.  Several places had GF marked on
the menu!  Pubs were not as good, although the classic jacket potato (a
stuffed baked potato) was always there.  Grocery stores had dedicated GF sections
that included bread, cakes, and cookies.

SWEDEN
Celiac disease is also much better understood here than in the US.  Most
restaurants knew what I was talking about and where the server did not
know he/she
asked the chef who was always helpful.  There were many GF products in
supermarkets there as well.  Language is no problem as most Swedes speak better
English than I do.

FRANCE
France was harder.  CD is not common there (or it is not commonly diagnosed).
 Although I speak French, I had some trouble communicating the basics of the
disease.  The Monoprix grocery store chain did have many GF products and there
is a small chain called Naturalia that had many GF products.  I'd recommend
bringing a card to the restaurant with the basics of CD written on it.  I can
help if anyone needs it.  I ate a lot of steaks au nature (without sauce) and a
lot of poulet fermier (roasted free range chicken).  You can also get
galettes (savory buckwheat crepes filled with ham and/or cheese) but be sure to make
certain that they _only_ include buckwheat, called either sarassin or
blé noir
in French.  They make a nice light lunch.

I hope this helps someone out there.  If anyone needs help or the names of
specific places, please email me and I will be glad to help.  In all, I found
travelling in Europe with CD easier than travelling here in the US.

Michael Neiberg
Colorado Springs