Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:18:03 +1000
< Can you enlarge on glutamate and/or ammonia toxicity. I don't think the
two
 can go hand in hand. >

not a great deal, as I was just reading about it yesterday. but have a go at
this
link:
http://www.metametrix.com/docs/book/ch4.htm

and scroll about half-way down.
Since ammonia is such a potent neurotoxin, it seems to me that a lot of
other things would have to go awry before the body allows any build up of
it.

There is a substance called ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate which scavenges
ammonia, and is marketed as an anabolic compound also in weighttraining
circles.  They claim it is never found naturally but this seems a bit
dubious. So
I think it may well be found in certain parts of animal meats, perhaps in
oily fish
or fish skin.

Many on this list feel a 'brain fog' just eating red muscle meat, as i do,
but I have found
a lot more mental clarity eating sea mullet a few times.  i previously put
this down to the purine content, but the same does not occur with lamb
shank.  Fish has
always had a reputation as a brain food, but maybe there is more to this
than the omega-3 oils.

andrew