From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:31:09 -0400
"Dedy" <dpdg> wrote:

Bruce:
<< We shouldn't regard insulin solely as a glucose control system.
Modern people ABUSE their insulin system to perform a function
it never evolved for.>>

> what function [according to your research and
> understanding] was insulin performing in humans
> before being abused by modern people?

I think we evolved eating substantial meals infrequently
(once a day or every other day). Such a diet naturally
minimizes insulin and blood sugar levels, even if one is
eating the Standard American Diet. This can explain the
benefits obesrved with calorie-restriction diets. We can
get the same benefits (or more) by simply eating one big
meal a day or fasting and bingeing on alternate days.

http://www.calorierestriction.org/
http://www.you.com.au/news/1706.htm

Insulin is toxic in large amounts. Studies with dogs
have shown that injecting insulin into their arteries
caused them to rapidly become clogged with plaque. We
suffer the same effects from modern processed foods.
They stimulate chronic high insulin and blood sugar,
aging and damaging our bodies.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin2.htm

Sugar in the blood also causes mayhem. Insulin would
naturally maintain very low blood sugar level (1 tsp
in the entire bloodstream). Combining high-glycemic
carbs with protein (meat and potatoes) is especially
harmful. Blood sugar cross-links with collagen, and
other proteins to form AGE's.

http://www.mercola.com/1999/apr/25/egg_a_day_ok.htm
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/feb2003_cover_vision_01.html

Insulin does not make us fat by itself. Body-builders
inject themselves with insulin to get similar results
as steroids. Eating low-insulin food - nuts, avocados,
olive oil, cherries, eggs - would reduce our ability
to gain or even maintain muscle. Without any insulin,
we would waste away. We need insulin to use our food,
but too much will damage our bodies and wear out the
pancreas, creating Type II diabetes.

-Bruce Kleisner