From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:34:50 +0200
I read in a paper today that a product called Lucacin here is mixed into sweets and then the sweets are sold to diabetics and called sugarfree. When the producer was questioned he said that they had used it for years, that he himself was a diabetic and could tolerate it well. He said it comes from an imported root also used in sweets for sore throat conditions. The roots are boiled at 150 degrees Celsius and turns out to be extremely pure sugar. The producer says that if you are sensitive to carbs you could get a tummy ache but not a diabetic reaction.

The man who got sick from eating it is a diabetic1 type and his blood sugar reaction was 24 (normal for him is between 6-10) and had to stay in bed all day and take double dose of insulin. He says he does not get like this even if he should eat ordinary sweets.

The above is what was written in the article. Does anyone know what this is?

There is also a new stuff called guar here, also a root that they mix into bread. I don't know what it is supposed to do to the bread, perhaps it's just cheaper and now I hope that someone on the list or a lurker can give me some info on this.

Could anyone give me details about corn syrup and malt syrup that is useful to know? Or any other kinds of sugar for that matter. In Sweden we have grown sugar beets and most people don't even think of sugar being of different kinds. It is just sweet and then it is sugar. The question to ordinary Swedes is more like sugar or not sugar but very likely it also matters what kind of sugar we use. The bad thing now here is that suddenly a lot of things one can buy readymade, like one person dinners, sauces, marinated meat and more, has sugar and I know that people are not aware of it. It worries me!

Eva