From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:25:58 -0500
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Yes, this makes the whole thing tragicomical.
>
>You got that right. Sad, isn't it. But the geese DID enjoy it, I
>suppose it is better to be a goose well fed than not. A short life but
>a merry one?

I did a surf on this a moment ago. Next time you buy or order foie gras,
Tom, maybe you want to know the source. No offence. The geese you saw
perhaps enjoyed the treatment, but it seems there are production methods
which are horrific:

<quote>

In 1991, PETA investigated foie gras production at Commonwealth Enterprises
located in the Catskills of New York. Despite Commonwealth's many prior
claims that it made foie gras without force-feeding the ducks C PETA's
investigators observed and documented the following:

* Three times a day, workers entered small duck pens in a factory-farm
building. The ducks, knowing what was coming, struggled to get as far away
from the men as possible.

* The workers grabbed the ducks one at a time, held them down, forced open
their bills, and shoved a long metal pipe down their throats all the way to
their stomachs.

* They then squeezed a lever attached to the pipe, and an air-driven pump
forced a third of the day's six-to-seven pounds of corn mixture into each
duck's stomach.

*Each worker was expected to force-feed 500 birds three times a day. So
many ducks died when their stomachs burst from overfeeding that workers who
killed fewer than 50 of "their" 500 received bonuses.

[...]

A worker told one of PETA's investigators that he could feel tumor-like
lumps, caused
by force-feeding, in some ducks' throats. One duck had a
maggot-covered neck wound so severe that water spilled out of it when he
drank. Workers routinely carried ducks by their necks, causing them to
choke and defecate in distress.

[...]

Many New York veterinarians signed a statement that foie gras production
should be outlawed because foie gras is nothing but the serious liver
disease hepatic lipidosis:

[...]

Nobel Prize-winning goose expert Konrad Lorenz was asked to read to the
European Parliament a report promoting the foie gras industry. Lorenz
refused, saying he felt "hot with anger" as he read the report. "My
viewpoint towards the 'expert opinion' which further permits forcible
fattening of geese ... can be expressed briefly: The 'expert opinion' is a
shame for the whole of Europe."

</quote>

There's more info at http://www.eatth
ewhales.com/r-fact9.html. Maybe it's
just vegan propaganda, maybe not. I believe it's not.

Fredrik