Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:31:10 -0700
Hello Jay,

Interesting post, but I must say I'm having a
difficult time figuring you out.  Based on the
information on your website, and recent posts here, I
get the feeling you're a hardcore member of the
natural hygiene movement, correct?  If not what
principles of the paleo diet do you align yourself
with.

A few comment embedded below:

> Stefansson wrote:
> The partially digested plant food of the caribou
> stomach is removed, dressed with oil, and eaten as a
salad.

> Question: If you think you are eating paleo and use
> the Eskimos as an example to emulate, are you
>eating the stomach contents of your meat as a
> salad?

Obviously not, and clearly not necessary.  In the
modern world if you're not consuming the flesh of
grass fed or wild animals, including organ meats,
it's probably a good idea incorporate the plant foods
those animal eat into your diet.

> Question: If you think you are eating Paleo and use
> the Eskimos as an example to emulate, when is the
last time you ate wild birds, seal, caribou, musk ox,
artic hare, bear or fox (raw or cooked)?

Not very often, but I do eat beef, pork, chicken,
cornish game hen, salmon, etc.. and large quantities
of fruit and veggies.  Not perfect from a paleo
perspective, but I think it's gets me pretty close.
I also, unlike some here, supplement just in case.

> Where things get decidedly more interesting is his
> proof that Eskimos and Indians living in their
natural environments and eating traditional foods,
> NEVER contract cancer or suffer from heart
> complaints: exactly the same as the Hunza people in
>the Himalayas, despite the Eskimos and American
>Indians being carnivores rather than vegetarians
[like the Hunza. Careful investigation reveals the
>most likely common factor to be vitamin B17.

B17 huh?  Sounds to me like the old Laetrile argument
that has been fairly well refuted if I recall.  Show
me the science, convince me and I'll add a few apricot
pits into my morning smoothie.

>The caribou which form a large part of the staple
>diet of both groups graze predominantly on arrow
>grass containing up to 15,000 mg per kilo
>nitriloside, the primary source of B17. So
> in these widely differing communities vegetarians
> and carnivores alike can both remain perfectly
healthy.

Is your point, eat B17 and you can be a healthy
vegetarian?  We are extremely complex organisms,
living in an extremely complex environment, things are
not quite so simple, although I wish they were.

> Question: If you think you are eating Paleo and use
> the Eskimos as an example to emulate, do the animals
you eat graze on arrow grass? When is the
> last time you ate salmon berries when they were in
> season or even dried?

Another overly simplistic statement.  If it were true
we'd all be making trips to Mexico for Laetrile
treatments and investing in apricot orchards.

> If someone wants to watch Eskimos in action, rent
> the movie Fast Runner. Fast Runner was filmed by
>Eskimos for Eskimos and shows hunter gatherers in
> their natual environment.

Agreed, an outstanding film, and highly recommended.
I'd also recommend Nanook of the North.

Mark Wilson

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com