From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:36:04 -0500

I got this from a summary of recipes in 1999 and added my own twist to it. It's a very pliable dough that can be used for thumbprint cookies, cookie bars, hamantashen, and now...rugulach. The original summary said the first recipe was based on a revised one from Chabad.

If you like your rugulach small, cut back on the baking powder and make sure your walnuts are chopped fine.

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup shortening
3 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
4 cups flour. (I used 3 cups of Bette Hagman's gf mix and 1 cup brown rice flour.)
3 teaspoons baking powder. (For smaller rugulach, this may be enough or too much. For puffy hamantashen, I add 1/2 tsp to 1 whole tsp more.)
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons xanthan gum....(I used a generous 1 tsp. The source of the recipe said she used more.) If you're making this as a non-gluten-free recipe, omit the xanthan gum altogether.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease cookie sheet(s).
The recipe calls for one more egg beaten to brush over cookies, but I never do this.

For hamantashen, have ready mohn, jam, jelly, cocolate chips, peanut butter...use your imagination. My aunt keeps alittle dough aside and mixes in cocoa powder and uses that as a filling.

For rugulach, have chopped walnuts mixed with lots of cinnamon, can also use cocoa powder. I bought raisins to use and then left them out because no one in my family eats raisins besides me. I'll bet you can use dried fruit if you dice it up. Whatever works for you. Just have the fillings ready.

Cream sugar, oil and shortening in mixer. Add eggs and juice, mix well. Blend dry ingredients and mix with wet until well mixed. Happens fast.

For rugulach, mix a little gluten free flour and lots of cinnamon and put it on your working surface. Also generously sprinkle cinnamon on the rolled cookie.

For hamantashen, form walnut size balls, flatten in palm of hand or on wax paper or on the cookie sheet. Then add filling. Then pinch up sides to form a nearly closed triangular cookie. Put on cookie sheet. Bake for approx. 20 minutes. Recipe says makes 4 dozen hamantaschen.

For rugulach, form balls that are the size of smaller walnuts and then shape into flat triangles on the cinnamon/gf flour dusted work surface. Put a mixture of nuts & cinnamon (and cocoa? and whatever) on the base of the triangle and roll up to point. Dust with cinnamon. Put on cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. I ended up with 20 bigger than life rugulach. Next time, I'll get chopped nuts or put them in a blender so I can make the cookies smaller. I used walnut pieces that I smashed (not enough) in a baggie with a rolling pin, and they were too big to make smaller cookies. Also, since I'm generous with the baking powder, they were very puffy. However, they are fantastic!

These cookies freeze well and defrost like fresh. They also ship well. I send them from NJ to California with no breakage. They do not taste gf!

I wish I had luck with my sugar cookies. They always end up in crumbs!

Enjoy.
Lin