From:
Engelhart/Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:53:31 -0400
As the article shows, they were cut off from Australia for 10,000 years.
The archeological record shows that they lost the ability to make bone tools
3000 years ago.  Without bone needles they couldn't sew clothing and it is
cold there.  Why couldn't fire suffer the same fate?  The point is that
human cultures are always screwing up and we only get back on track by
copying our neighbours or by having our more successful neighbours invade
us.  How could the Tasmanians make such a huge mistake?  How could the
Easter Islanders cut down their last trees and leave themselves
"shipwrecked" with no boats?  How can our culture encourage everyone to eat
lots starchy food, and to cut back on meat, despite the obvious evidence
that it is killing them?  Ken