From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:50:47 +0900
On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 12:36  AM, Joe Zychik wrote:

> I mentioned this issue to my wife. She told me, "Cedar
> Wax Wings and Robins are known to get drunk from
> fermented berries." So I stand corrected, in part.
> She is going to look into it further to discover if
> there are any studies indicating whether or not the
> birds deliberately seek the fermented berries or if
> the intoxication is caused by accident.

Just yesterday I was picking raspberries with my daughter. It rained
yesterday and the berries were going bad pretty quickly. I ran into a
few with a distinct alcohol taste. In the wet, warm humid weather here,
they tend to get fungal rot before fermenting, really nasty. If we get
bright sunny weather more will ferment as they ripen.