From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:17:01 -0400
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2986922.stm
> >
> > Vitamin E worthless...

> This would require a bit of investigative work, but my
> suspicion is that this trial was not even single
> blinded. I think the doctors just did a study of
> asking people whether they took vitamin E supplements.

The BBC article summarizes the findings of many studies (see excerpt from
The Nutrition News Below).  However, its way thing to say that vitamin E
doesn't prevent heart disease.  But, vitamin E may prevent fish and other
polyunsaturated oils from oxidizing and may prevent oxidation at the cell
membrane.

> I think
> actually that a lot of people who take lots of
> vitamins or go on diets tend to have some problem
> initially that got them interested in it. So we might
> not be a fair sample of the population at large.

I agree completely that those that take daily supplements are not
representative of the population at large.  However, the reverse to what you
suggest is usually the case.  Supplements are preferentially consumed by
higher income, better educated persons who eat a better diet and exercise
more.

From the Nutrition News Focus:
"Vitamin E Misses Yet Again

Many people, including physicians, take vitamin E in the hope that it will
prevent heart disease. However, almost all trials have failed to show such a
benefit. Almost 5,000 Italian men and women with an average age of 64 years
were given 300 mg/day of vitamin E, 100 mg/day of aspirin, or both. Each
participant had to have some risk factor for heart disease such as high
blood pressure, diabetes, high serum cholesterol, obesity, etc.

The study was halted prematurely at 3.6 years when evidence from other
trials showed the benefits of aspirin on preventing heart attacks. While
aspirin reduced the frequency of all endpoints such as death and heart
attacks, vitamin E had no effect. The study appeared in the January 13, 2001
issue of the Lancet.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The amount of vitamin E used is far more than
can be derived from the diet, but it is in line with amounts used in other
trials. Only one study, criticized for its design and conduct, found a
benefit of vitamin E. It appears time to conclude vitamin E in large
supplements is not helpful for preventing heart disease.

2.5.01"

Rob