From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:56:05 -0700
> talking about

I just wanted to clear up a small point here. People
keep using the word "rotten," which seems to imply a
vile piece of fruit that is nearly inedible but in the
direst of circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
I think the alcohol becomes elevated in fruit that is
"overripe," not necessarily bad tasting. In fact,
apparently fructivorian animals like apes will
deliberately seek out fruit that puts out a smell of
alcohol, and there is a theory that this is where our
proclivity toward ethanol came from. There is an
association in our primitive minds that is ethanol
smell = ripe fruit!

http://calendar.yahoo.com