From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:05:30 -0400
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>In a message dated 5/29/03 10:19:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

>That's interesting. Do you know of any research etc that demonstrates
>saturated fat intake raises LDL in some individuals?

A quick note:  I believe a Nobel Prize was awarded a few years back for
the discovery that certain (not all) saturated fatty acids cause
downregulation of the hepatic LDL receptors, resulting in an increase in
LDL.  I wish I could be more specific, but I just don't have the time to
dig this up.  What is less clear is whether the effect is long-term, or
whether the liver *eventually* compensates by putting out less LDL.

Todd Moody