From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 17:58:45 -0700
--- Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I was wondering how all of you handle social
> functions.

It's not always easy.  Last week we had a staff
appreciation luncheon, and I had two big plates of
undressed salad, hold the tomatoes, while my coworkers
enjoyed Italian meatballs, chicken Alfredo, garbage
bread, strawberry cheesecake.....

The two things I have found that help is to bring my
own food and remember how much better I feel when I
stay with what I know is good for me.  It also helps
that one small indulgence can result in a weight gain
of several pounds - it just doesn't seem worth it most
of the time.

It also helps to have some ways to "cheat" that are
less damaging than others.  If in these situations I
have some cheese, or a diet soda, or Italian sausage,
it is not nearly as damaging as an apple turnover or
fudge brownie would be, but I have had my little
indulgence and don't feel quite as deprived.  You have
to know what works for you, of course - if a small
indulgence triggers  a binge, then that won't work.
(For me, it varies: sometimes I can have just a taste
of something I crave, and go right back to healthy
eating; sometimes I end up three days and 20 pounds
later vowing never to allow peanut butter in the same
room with me.  But as time goes on the cravings do
become less compelling.)

As to feeling different, I'm used to that.  It's been
more of a problem to overcome my husband's reaction to
my eating something healthy when he wants junk  - but
I've pretty well gotten him used to the idea that what
I eat has nothing to do with what he can or should.
Makes it much easier when we eat out.

Tomorrow is my daughter's boyfriend's graduation
party.  I hope they have plenty of hamburgers and not
too much in the way of really really yummy
snacks...but I will probably throw some salad and
roast in my bag just in case.

Andrea

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/