From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:58:33 -0500
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 2:56pm, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>  I would say that depends on the time between meals.
>  With 3 meals a day and each one elevating insulin/glucose for 2/3
> hours
>  you'd still have 24-9 = 15 hours or glycogen emptying time.

Less.  You won't start emptying glycogen until BG gets below a cerain
level.  If we assume 3 meals a day, the first at 7:00 am and the last
at
6:00 pm, then probably the *earliest* point at which you would draw on
glycogen would be 9:00 pm.  That leaves about 10 hours til the next
breakfast.

Using the estimate of 7.5g of glucose per hour, that means there should
be clearance for 75g of glucose in the morning.

>  If stores are full the glucose must be converted to fat.

Right, and that implies that the safest time to eat carbs is with
breakfast.  That is, that's the time when eating carbs should
theoretically have the least effect on BG and insulin.

But I don't know if this has ever been empiirically confirmed.  I'm
saying this on the basis of what *should * be the case, and I've
learned
that that's dangerous.

>  I think it's not. The same amount in kcal of glucose seems much more
> of
>  problem to get rid of than fat.
>  I'm still thinking the key lies in the conversion processes.

Maybe.  And maybe BG needs to be kept within narrower limits than blood
fatty acids.  I wish I knew more about this.

>  Either thiamin or some related stuff (like alpha lipoic acid) or some
>  mineral involved could be the key.

Chromium, vanadium, zinc, biotin...lots of possibilities.

>  Insulin resistance (body cells resisting to "eat" glucose could be a
>  countermeasure against the brain to rnu out of fuel.

Does IR not affect the uptake of glucose by brain cells?  In any case,
IR appears to develop even in the presence of *abundant* glucose.

Your theory is interesting, however.  I have heard it said that
ketogenic diets cause IR.  Maybe in the short run they do, for just the
reason you suggested.  However Wolfgang Lutz's research indicates the
opposite, but his studies are longer term.  Maybe IR is how the body
deals with ketosis until it is fully adapted to low dietary carb
levels.

>  Something striking is still missing.

Agreed.

Todd Moody