From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:03:40 -0700
> >I've designed a staple meal as well but have taken
> a different approach.  My biggest concern has been
> >getting quality fats into my diet.>

> What do you class as high quality, Mark?

Highest quality would be the raw fat from a freshly
killed wild animal.  Since I can't stomach raw meat I
settle for a blend of raw free range eggs and raw
coconut. That's the the best I've been able to come up
with, and I feel pretty comfortable with my decision.
If anyone has a better alternative I'd love to hear
it.

> >After viewing Nanook of the North for the first
> time I was struck at the quality of fats these
>people were consuming.  At one point they pulled a
>walrus out of the ocean and were consuming the raw
>blubber within minutes of the animals death.
>
> This puzzles me a bit as the usual paleo practice is
> to share the food and there are taboos associated
with eating one's own kill, eating before some affines
have received their share, plus, there is usually some
communal celebration of a catch the size of a walrus.

I'm surprised you haven't seen the film. I think the
Inuit break the mold regularly possibly due to the
extreme enviroment they live in.  I was struck by how
difficult simple day to day living was for these
people.  They were hungry, and once that animal was
dead, they ate.

> >Heat damages fats and I've always been concerned
> about eating high volumes of cooked meat,
>
> Not all fats are equally damaged by heat and
> different temperatures have different impact

Yup, I just haven't figured out a way to cook meat
without using, relatively' high temperatures.

> >I still eat roasted meat but from a longevity
> >standpoint I think it's a good idea to use a bit of
> >moderation.
>
> As you will have seen in my pics, I grill my meat
> and have recently taken to grilling on very low
temperatures.  I miss the caramelization, but
> everything else is easier: cooking is quicker (not
> Paleo - I know!), the pan is far easier to clean
(not Paleo, either), I can prepare the rest of
> the meal while the meat is cooking - without having
> to keep a vigilant eye on it all the time and
nutritionally, it's probably better for me.

If you eat the meal on your website without much
deviation, I think your diet is more than exceptional.

Best
Mark

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com