From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:01:49 -0400
"Jim Swayze" wrote:

> You may remember the discussion from two or three weeks ago about how I
> had gone from a "normal" constitution vis a vis wine drinking when I was
> eating a SAD, to the constitution of an alcoholic on the paleo eating
> plan.  Pre-paleo, I could drink a glass or two and have no problems, no
> need to continue.  But after starting paleo, I got zero, nilch, nada stops
> and could drink myself silly, wanted to drink myself silly.
>
> I found something fascinating the last two weekends.  I am back to getting
> a stop signal, now at one glass of wine.  Why?  The only difference now is
> that I just now stared consuming a LOT more saturated fat.  I am convinced
> that that alone has "cured" me of my tendencies toward uncontrolled
> alchohol use.  I haven't a clue why.

Saturated fats protect the body (esp liver) against alcohol
intoxication and damage. Diets low in saturated fat increase
the vulnerability to all kinds of environmental and dietary
toxins. Unsaturated fats increase our vulnerability. So I
think your experience makes perfect sense. The paleo diet
excludes dairy, cocoa butter, bittersweet chocolate, and
other foods high in saturated fat. Unless one eats coconut,
they can't get a healthy level of saturated fat (45-70% of
calories) on a paleo diet. Polyunsaturates need to be kept
to a minimum for good health (1-10% of fat).

http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/oils/49752.html
http://www.edensbest.ca/unsaturated_vegetable_oils.htm