From:
Alan Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:41:03 -0500
I got my butcher to grind up my suet, which saved me a lot of work and made
the rendering go much faster.  Don mentioned that it takes hours to render; it
depends on how much you're rendering.  In my first pemmican experiment I
only rendered about a pound of suet at a time, and using very low heat I'd
guess it took 15-20 minutes to render.

I'm not sure if rendering twice is necessary, unless you're really concerned
about it keeping a long time.  I'm also keeping mine in the fridge, don't
know if I need to.

How is everyone flavoring their pemmican?  I tried it plain and it was barely
edible.  I tried it with salt and garlic powder and it was pretty good.  I also
liked it flavored with raw honey.  This weekend I'm going to try making some
with coconut oil.

Alan Jones