From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:20:20 -0500
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am looking to increase my intake of saturated fat.  Lately, I've been
>adding a tablespoon or two of bacon grease to my tuna, chicken breast. But
>the standard storebought bacon my wife feeds the family is high in sodium
>and nitrates.  Other than getting uncured bacon and saving the drippings,
>what's good source of saturated fat I can substitute?  (Is lard the
>answer?  Doesn't it too have additives?)

Here in Sweden they sell lard in some supermarkets. It says "100% pure
fat". 50% is saturated, 40% is monounsaturated, the rest is
polyunsaturated. When I contacted the company that produces it and asked
some questions I got the following infor
mation: (1) It's not hydrogenated
(2) It does not contain any chemicals. (3) It does not contain any fat
soluble vitamins. (4) It's deodorized. I personally don't use this product.
I don't know if it's safe, but I wonder what would happen if I would start
to use it. Heartattack? I make my own lard sometimes. Sometimes I buy beef
suet (kidney fat) and render it. Kidney fat and fat around some other
organs and intestines is probably the best fat there is. It's hard. Soon
I'll get a lot of moose fat from a hunter I know. Besides these fats I've
started to use butter but I'm a bit sceptical to it.

Fredrik