From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:56:21 +0900
On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 07:23  PM, Fredrik Murman wrote:
> For a moment that ended my excitement for all meat diet as well, but as
> Andrew points out in another post there could be other reasons to the
> apparently shorter life spans and older looks of the eskimos
> Stefansson was
> referring to, like extremely strenuos lifestyle. I hope so because I
> would
> like to try an all meat diet as soon as I get a better supplier of
> animal
> parts. My understanding is that one gets physically stronger during
> this
> kind of diet, but I wonder if one can do hard intell
> ectual work as well
> with so little carbohydrate.

There are many possibles. The Eskimos were not a digital culture.
Possibly, like many small groups they had no real idea how old anyone
was, keeping track by memorable events and comparisons to other members
in the group. If the women had many children that would make them age
faster too. Or maybe it really was some low grade nutrient imbalance,
not unlikely given their culture. Folic acid? Low Vitamin C? He
mentions calcium in the article.

I am trying a very high meat diet recently, with increased training for
the upcoming racing season. Seems to be going very well, especially
since I added liver and heart back in every few days. But I still eat
quite a lot of leafy greens and other vegetables, and it is the
blackberry season now, so I am picking a few every trip to the garden,
along with supermarket fruits like cherries etc.

Low carb is the greatest in hot summer weather. I run an hour+ at noon
with little effort, this is the rainy season, so very high humidity.
Lost 5-6 kilos since starting the high meat/fat. Some of that may be
upper body muscle though, I need to do some work there.