From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:33:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/03 7:04:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> You
> read everywhere that ADD may be overdiagnosed.  I have no opinion on that
> other than a vague suspicion that it's under diagnosed.

I think if there is such a thing as ADD in children, it's caused by high
junkfood/sugar/carb diets.  When I was a kid, we ate some junk food, but at least
it was in addition to some normal, real food such as meat, eggs, veggies.  It
was the norm for kids to at least have some real food at breakfast.  Today,
it's "normal" to give a kid a high sugar cereal in the am or other pastry plus
juice followed by a high refined starch lunch washed down with more juice or
soda pop and then followed by candy/sweets or chips as after school snacks
washed down with more juice or soda pop followed by another crappy dinner ie pizza
or take-out junk.  It's no wonder they have trouble concentrating.