From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:56:51 -0500
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"But wait!" some say, "it's not PALEO!!!!"  Well, apples are.  But they
>make me both tired AND hungry.

I guess that the reason you get tired is that the thiamin density of apples
is too low. It's approximately 0.07 mg per 1000 kJ. The average requirement
is 0.08 mg per 1000 kJ, and 0.1 mg per 1000 kJ is recommended.

After eating a lot of apples I get tired too and feel the need after eggs
or pork, mostly pork. It solves the problem, probably because it has
extremely high thiamin density.

Honey lacks thiamin. When I eat too much of it alone I not only get tired,
I also get pricking sensations in hands and feet and get chest pain among
other things. These are some of the symptoms o
f thiamin deficiency. But,
when I combine honey with something that has high thiamin density, like
sesame seeds, I don't feel a thing. I can eat a whole jar. (That was just
an experiment.) I guess that's why halva was invented. (Honey destoyes my
teeth though, so I avoid it.)

Too much dried dates makes me tired and can give me a slight chest pain.
The thiamin density of dried dates is a bit higher than apples, 0.08
mg/1000 kJ, but that's probably too little for me. Since dried dates
doesn't contain much water it's easy to overeat them.

B-vitamins come in complexes, and I guess that were there's too little
thiamin, there's too little of some other B-vitamins as well. So, you can
get a lot of symptoms by eating too much of these foods alone.

I'm just speculating. Feel free to correct me.

Fredrik