From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:58:28 +1000
< 1.  I thought the white blood cells were the good guys and it
followed,  therefore, that we should not do anything to prevent them from
getting to the site of inflammation.>

It's likely that this scenario implies an excessive and counterproductive
reaction of the immune system.  good for childhood epidemics, bad for adult
chronic states.

< 2.  I'd like to know (a) which polyphenols? (b) are effective polyphenols
also available food other than grapes?>

there are thousands of tannins and polyphenols. lots of them must be useful
for anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.

< (c) what amount of red wine has  the same impact as, say, 250g of fresh
red grapes?>
alcoholising the grape makes for superior anti-oxidant activity.  Alcohol
per se is an anti-oxidant, and i think there is additional affect from
changes in the tannins. but i can't quote any figures.
red grapes are also high in resveratrol, one of the most powerful
anti-oxidants. its found in few other sources.

< For this reason, I thought it was useful to post this info, to
 shift the focus to the polyphenols and away from the alcohol.>

since aborigines buried some fruits and monkeys and birds eat over-ripe and
hence fermented fruit, alcohol is pretty paleo from my point of view.

andrew