BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:56:25 +1000
Lawrence

Guess that's my cue for announcing my return as well.

I've got nothing as exciting as running for office as
an excuse for lurking so long.  Best of luck in the
election.

For everybody else, I've read some of the last month
or so of postings, and it's sad to see that there's
not much debate about the preservation side of things
any more. So I guess I'd better add to the chaff
myself.

Down under, we've just about wrapped up our recent
election.  The Liberal Party led by John Howard have
been re-elected, with significant swings to the
Government.  So much so, that they may control the
Upper House as well, which will be the first time in
20 years or more that the Government has had control
of both houses.  It raises the spectre of all sorts of
dramatic change to legislation.  Vote counting
proceeds to determine the final Upper House seat that
will determine whether the Government has control or
not.

The only significant news I have is that finally I'm
going to make it to the APTI conference. I've
registered, the flights are booked, just a small
matter of a couple of days work in London en-route,
and I'll be in Galveston on Wednesday morning.  Not
only that, but I'll be carrying a petition to
establish the APTI Australia Chapter.

So I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in
Galveston next week.  Please keep an eye out for me,
and introduce yourself to me.

For anybody in Chicago or New York that isn't going to
make it down to Galveston, I'm planning to spend a day
or two in each of those fair cities in the week after
APT (i.e. 8-12 November).  My aim is to meet with
firms practising in the field of architectural
conservation - either at the consulting end, or at the
doing end. Suggestions for contacts gratefully
received.  And it would be great to meet up with any
Pinheads from Chicago or New York that don't make it
down to Texas.

I'm also going to spend a day in upstate New York
visiting Boston Valley Terracotta in relation to a
couple of projects I'm working on here in Sydney.

Cheers

David West
Executive Director
International Conservation Services