From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 10:51:22 -0700
It's illegal to transmit without a license.  If you let someone else who is
not a ham use your radio, you must be present and you must make it known you
are controlling the situation.

Once, a man wanted to buy a ham radio but he didn't have a license.  He
wanted me to tell him what radio to buy.  I answered I wouldn't recommend
any radio until he obtained a license.  He wasn't even studying to get a
license!  He was sighted, too, so sight had nothing to do with his laziness.

I knew a ham whose 5-year-old son, without Daddy's permission or knowledge,
turned on Daddy's radio to a 2 meter repeater and started talking to the
hams.  He used Daddy's call sign!  When the hams reported to Daddy  what his
son was doing, he was embarrassed and he took necessary disciplinary steps.
This happened many years ago and the family has long since moved from the
area.

The ham made it clear he didn't want to discourage his son from being
interested in ham radio but he would not allow his son to operate illegally.

I think allowing unlicensed people to use a radio for long periods of time
is encouraging the illegal use of ham radio.

Terri Pannett, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.  Army MARS call sign AAT9PX,
California