From:
shawn klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 06:18:10 -0700
Oh people have been bootlegging other people's calls
for almost as long as ham radio has been in existance,
Can't say I've ever heard of the legitimate holder of
the call getting in trouble. I think most of these
guys just pick a likely sounding call out of the air
anyway, so the holder is often in another state. I
knew a guy who bootlegged k3npr, always said National
Public Radio for phonetics, this was in Phoenix on 2
meters in the late 80's, he was always on the 2 to 10
link, and wasn't till a year or so later it was
questioned, I was a new ham then, and old timers
thought he was legit. This guy was still running his
mouth, on 11 meters freeband, in the mid 90's.