From:
richard & Karlene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard & Karlene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:37:34 -0500
Hi everyone;
    I know its February in sunny Buffalo NY but I thought I'd throw out some
hf antenna questions.  I have previously been using a kriscraft r8 vertical
for 10 through 40 meters with mixed results. It wasn't a contest winner but
it was easy to put up and got me on the air with one simple antenna.
Unfortunately this poor antenna seems to be history.  I may consider repair
but it seems to be to long to deal with our winds unless we use some ropes
to support it which starts to get ugly.  So, I'm looking for ideas.  After
taking down way to many antennas when we moved I'm trying to limit myself to
one for hf and one  for uhf and vhf. I'd love a simple wire for 40/80 but
there are lots of other wires in my yard which apparently may make that
project difficult or impossible.  There was someone on the list several
months ago who put up a gap vertical which I was curious about.  I believe
this has to be ground mounted and I'm not sure how much rf would be radiated
with a VERY large tree above this antenna and garages on either side.  If
anyone has any creative ideas I'm curious.
Rich