From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:01:29 -0500
Hi.

I thought it was time to change the subject line.

Basically, I see no problem with the way that JFW handles file lists or
folders in tree views.  Sounds like Howard might have had a bad experience
with something that didn't go well.  Having said that, I will comment that
there are a few things that I do find annoying with JFW, but I am used to
its foibles so I live with it.  JFW seems to be much more fussy about video
issues, even in modern versions than Window-Eyes is, and if you don't give
it the right resolution, color depth, and in some cases color scheme, it
just decides not to read a lot of things.  I find Window-Eyes to be a
little more tolerant in this area.  And, like most users of JFW, I find
their authorization scheme to be obnoxious to say the least.  I have
recommended Window-Eyes for people that like to experiment with computers,
just because there is no authorization key to lose if it becomes necessary
to wipe a hard drive.  Ok, I know this one is a sacred cow for FS.

However, I do have to comment about something with Howard's post.  While it
is true that Window-Eyes are much easier to construct than JAWS scripts,
they are also much more limited in their capabilities.  For example, it is
often helpful to create keys to click conrols or move focus to an object in
a program that does not readily provide keyboard access.  JFW scripts have
a lot of tools to address this type of shortcoming, while Window-Eyes has
very little to address it.  If you are not inclined to delve into such
complicated issues, then Window-Eyes is probably right for you.  Its
Hyperactive Windows and User Windows are somewhat better thought out and
less convoluted then JAWS Frames, which I hate to troubleshoot.

I guess to be fair, I should also point out that JFW seems to lose focus
more readily than Window-Eyes and that is annoying.

I guess that for my part, I'd feel a little better about Window-Eyes if it
weren't for a couple of problems that I see with it.  First of all, it has
a nasty tendency to lose file associations, especially if it becomes
necessary to unload and reload Window-Eyes.  Secondly, I have had a nasty
time with locating underlined text, which I sometimes need to do in my
work.  It is pretty straightforward with JFW, and I figured out how to
modify the Word SET files to improve it with Window-Eyes, but it's kind of
clunky.  The other thing GW-Micro would need to do to sell me is provide a
command like the ALT+DEL command in JFW that tells you how many inches from
the top and left edge of the page you are in when using Word.

These are issues for me, but a more casual user might not care.  That's why
John's suggestion of pulling down the demos for both and trying them out is
probably the best one.  Of course, the comment that was made several days
ago about the difference in price is a valid one, too.  Especially if you
are running a Professional version of Windows, the cost of JFW is horrible.

That's why I say that there are pluses and minuses to both products and
it's not all one or the other.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK