From:
RiverWind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:49:59 -0500
Hi all,

A friend just forwarded me the link to this article, and I thought
you might enjoy it. However, I wonder how it would impact ham radio
as an institution. With this kind of technology, wouldn't people be
able to enjoy all of the benefits of ham radio without having to
get licensed?

Beginning of article
MM
        I was wondering if you'd seen this;
http://vekinis.org.lu/picosat/picosat1.htm

Now, I don't know much about ham radio, but that sounds a lot like a
wireless computer network, a wi-fi net.

Is it possible to build a satellite network similar to what they are
describing, but using the same frequencies as standard wi-fi routers?
Because if it is, and you tied in some ground based servers, then you'd have
a globe-spanning network enabling anyone to access the internet from
anywhere on the face of the Earth.

Internet access, without phone bills, from anywhere on earth. Pretty damn
cool !

MP

        Silicon.shaman
"Any technology, no matter how primitive,
is magic to those who don't understand it."
        Florence Ambrose-Wolf

---

(1/3 Hitler)+(1/3 Stalin)+(1/3 Bush) = (The Death Of A Once Great
Nation)
http://www.shellworld.net/~riverwind/crossroad.htm