From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:28:11 -0700
This question comes up every month or so and I write a reply and
think I should have saved a copy of what I wrote last month.  So,
this time, I'm saving a copy.  I havbe both hts.  Honestly, I use
the Kenwood more for ham use just because it is easier to program
and I have all the local repeaters in it for Las Vegas.  I finally bought a cable to program the t90 from a local ham.  He also included the software, which by the way, works well with window-eyes.  I do also have the cable for the Kenwood.  Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

First, let us compare assessories.  Kenwood is  high on these things, as all manufacturers seem to be, but Icom is even more expensive.  Examples.  Kenwood software is free on line.  Icom software I think is $25.00.  Kenwood computer programming cable is $35.00.  Icom cable is $45.00.  NOte, this cable is available from another source, rc systems,  for $25.  The DC power cord is similar.  $35 for
the Kenwood, $45 for the icom.  The icom specificly says in the book not to exceed 11.5 volts, so you'll need some kind of regulater if you plan to run it on 12v cigarrette lighter, which
you could build or buy their high priced dc cord.  I haven't tried
either speaker mike.  The case is another example.  The kenwood case is kind of a rough feeling materiall and comes with a belt clip.  There is an opening over the keys, so radio can easily be run in the case.  The cost is $15.00.  The icom case is a leather feeling material and very soft.  It has a transparent cover over the keys, so is a little harder to run the radio in the case.

Layout.  I prefer the layout on the kenwood.  It has a morestandard keypad, basically 4 by 4.  The icom has 3 keys up and down and 5 wide which I think is a little strange.

Tv band and cw.  The two main reasons I bought the t90 after already owning a th-f6 are these.  The icom has a cw readout for frequency.  Also, the Icom has TV channels preprogrammed.  NOt a big deal, as I programmed all of the channels into the kenwood when I got the cable.  I don't know if Icom also played with the filtering or what, but the t-90 beats the kenwood hands down for receive on TV channels.  I compared them side by side many times.  I've even swapped antennas.  Icom always wins.  TV stations I can 't even hear on the Kenwood are crystal clear on the t-90.  I suspect it has something to do with the bandwidth.  I ran into an engineer at the N A B convention here, and he tole me Tv channels were 25 KC wide, and I think Fm is a hundred.

The icom does not receive as high a frequency as the Kenwood, but
I don't recall the exact numbers.  One big drawback, and I don't
know why they did this, is what the icom does above 900.  I use
some wireless headphones and speaker systems at home and I like to
grab the ht and listen to these outside.  The kenwood works fine
as I can put it in wide fm mode above 900.  Not so with the t-90.
It forces you to narro and won't receive wide at all.  Also, the
Kenwood receives sideband.  It isn't very sensative, but does
make a nice hf transmit monitor.

I feel the Kenwood is easier to program.  The icom isn't bad once
you get the hang of it, I just think the Kenwood is more
intuitive.  I haven't checked lately, but I think the t-90 is less
expensive for the basic package than the Kenwood.

As far as ham band coverage, the icom works on six, and the Kenwood on 220, so that is something else to consider.  If you run the icom on six, you screw on a little add on thingy on the antenna to make it longer.

I guess, if I had to pick, I'd pick the Kenwood.  Actually, I'd
like to cross them and come up with one heck of a radio.  Hope
this helps.  AS the old saying goes, your mileage may vary...

73s. Butch WA0VJR.

73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr