From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:01:30 -0500
Don't know about the ldg other than what I've seen on the qrp reflector.
The z11 gets great reviews, and I assume that the standard model would do
as well.  If memory serves it runs around $225 or $250.

As to antennas, depending on the room you have, the pack12 is a portable
vertical which breaks down into pieces not much more than a foot long.
Also there is the st. louis vertical made from a black widow fishing pole,
and speaker wire.  These both set up quick.

The plans for the pack12 ar available on the www.njqrp.org site.  I've got
the info for the st. louis vertical around here somewhere.

I'll scrounge around here and see if I can find that info.

Another option for tuning, might be something like an mfj 971 portable
tuner and the tuner tuner from palomar engineers.  This is a noise bridge
constructed with a switch to go from tune to operate.  You simply set it
for tune, and adjust your tuner for minimum noise; then switch to operate.
The unit is fused so that if you forget, you won't burn it up, just blow
the little 60 mil fuse.
Price is approximately $100 for the tuner tuner, and about $80 for the 971.

For a solution on the cheap, tentech has a noise bridge kit for $15, but it
must be inserted and taken out of the circuit.  Haven't gotten the design
together yet to make it like the palomar unit.

Finally, there is the qrp+ companion.  This is no longer made, but is an l
network tuner, with a buillt in noise bridge, and 4 amp hour jell cell.
Great for portable qrp.  I finally found one used for $125.

Well, hope this ramble helped you.  Holler if you want more info about any
of these options, and I'll dig around and see what I've got.
At 09:50 PM 2/5/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>As many of you may know, I am a college professor, and my XYL is a public
>school teacher.  We are both licensed hams.
>
>I am becoming increasingly interested in conducting demonstrations of HF
>communication in the classroom setting, as an additional way to recruit
>young people into our hobby.
>
>Right now, I have an Icom 718 HF rig to use for this purpose, butI need to
>make some decisions on other equipment so I can put a workable portable HF
>station together.
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>1.  What are your thoughts on auto antenna tuners to go with the Icom 718?
>Icom suggests the AT180, which costs about $350, if I remember correctly.
>In my book, that's an awful lot for an auto-tuner, since I paid a little
>over $500 for the 718 itself, including the speech synthesizer chip.  Some
>folks have suggested LDG auto-tuners.  Have any of you had experience with
>them, and if so, can you recommend a particular model and give me a cost
>figure?  Are there any other auto-tuners you would suggest?
>
>2.  Portable HF antennas:  Aside from trying to string up some kind of a
>wire antenna, like a G5RV, do you have any other suggestions for nice
>portable HF antennas?  I know that MFJ is now advertising an MFJ 1622
>window-mount antenna, for around $100.  It sounds good, but I can't believe
>the thing would work all that well.  How about the "buddy pole" that has
>recently come out?  Any other suggestions?
>

>3.  Power supplies:  In my shack I use an Astron RS35 transformer-type power
>supply, and love it.  Problem is it is kind of bulky to carry around, if you
>know what I mean.  What do you think about switching power supplies, like
>the MFJ Mighty Light, or one of the Samlex models?  I have heard mixed
>reviews on switching supplies.  They are easy to carry around, but
>apparently are somewhat succeptible to failure.
>
>Please feel free to answer any or all of these questions.  Hopefully, the
>answers I get to these questions will help others on the list as well.  If
>you want to e-mail me off list, that's fine to.  My e-mail is
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Best 73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Gary Lee
kb9zuv