From:
Keith Reedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:50:33 -0500
Hi Tom,

Your power suply should handel things fine as long as you transmit on only
one rig at a time.

Your antennas will be a little more trickie,  If it were me, I would
separate the listening antenna from the switch, so that you don't get any
RF in to the listening rig.

Hope this helps.

73

Keith-WA9DRO

At 07:53 PM 12/23/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>This may be a stupid question, so when you read it, just be nice, and try to
>answer it as best as you can.  Remember:  It is the Christmas season!  HI!
>HI!  HI!
>
>Anyway, here's the deal:
>
>My son, who is also a ham, is helping me re-design my basement ham shack
>here at the house.  I want to have the capability of running two HF rigs
>simultaneously for either contesting, or emergency net work.  My main rig is
>an Icom 746.  It draws about 18 amps on full power, and is most likely the
>rig I would be transmitting with.  The other rig is an Icom 718, which draws
>about 3 amps on receive, and is the rig I would listen to other frequencies
>with.  I would like to run both rigs off the same power supply, which is an
>Astron RS35 supply, and the same antenna system if possible.  My antenna
>system consists of four HF antennas (used for different bands, of course),
>and a six-position antenna switch that I use to switch antennas as needed.
>
>Can I do this safely?  Can I transmit with the 746, and not cause damage to
>the 718 with this set-up?  Can I have the rigs located next to each other,
>or should I separate them by a considerable distance?  If so, how much?
>
>By the way, I should add that both rigs will be connected to a common RF
>ground.
>
>Any suggestions here would be appreciated.  I hope this isn't too stupid of
>a question, but I have never had two HF rigs to work with before, and I want
>to be safe, rather than sorry.
>
>Thanks much, and merry Christmas.
>
>Best 73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ

Keith-WA9DRO
God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
Hudson Taylor