Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:55:56 +0200
7bit
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
sean mcbride wrote:
>..  I buy coconut
> cream in cans.  Does anyone know what happens in the canning process in
> terms of heat?  If oils heated to high temperatures form trans fats does
> this mean that cans of coconut cream (or coconut milk) will have trans fats
> in them?

Don't worry. Trans fats are formed when PUFA are hydrogenized.
Coconut fat is almost only saturated
( http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/index.php?f=coconut&n=12115 )
No chance of trans fats to form up.

Most trans fats are created when fat is hydrogenated *on purpose*, e.g.
when making margarine shortenings etc from cheap plant oil (sunflower...).
Just stay away from ready made food items (most of them contain
hydrogenated fat and trans fats).
Trans fats bombs are margarine and shortenings.
Also the fat of potatoe chips and many popular (hazel) nut creams.
Anything that has (partly) hydrogenzied fat on the ingredient label.
Chemical garbage.

Some trans fats are formed by excessive heat, above 150 or 170 deg C.
That's much more as is necessary for sterilizing cans.

TFA could be created when frying in a pan at hot temperatures,
particularly with PUFA containing fat.

Paleo humans didn't fry. No pans. Even no pots.
I even doubt if much was roasted over a fire. The fat would have been
lost, and fat is essential.
Think of any contemporary huntergathering population, how they eat meat.
Inuit eat it raw.

Amadeus