Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:00:27 -0600

TOm wrote:
   >is about $5 if I remember correctly.  You can also get an adapter
   >that has a coax feedline so you don't put as much stress on the SMA
   >connection.  Those are also available from ham radio dealers.
Any time you're doing adapters and added weight on sma connectors or
bnc connectors I'd always go with something with a bit of coax between
the two connections so you can alleviate some of the stress on those
flimsy connections.

rEmember that BNC and SMA connectors weren't made for the type of
stress we put them under switching out antennas etc.  My thg-71a is
the only HT I've owned where I haven't had to have somebody with a
good pair of eyes reattach the BNC connector and that's because I
never use it with my base antenna with a hunk of rg8 or a mobile
antenna, just with the duck I bought with it.  I think I can count the
number of times that it was connected to the base antenna and that was
when I first bought it before I really learned why they don't design
them more robustly.  sInce then it's only been removed when I had to
replace the BNC connector in the radio itself.  THat was due to the
radio falling from a shelf btw.

REmember strain relief is your friend with these little dudes.
Otherwise that most criticaal point will fail when you most need the
HT.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania