From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 15:52:34 -0500

Hi all!
Wow!  What quick responses to my question about whether potatoes have
gluten.  Thank you all so much, and I've gotten my answers so I do not need
any more responses.
The overwhelming reply was that NO, potatoes do not have the kind of gluten
that would bother us.  Here are a few of the responses.
Thanks to all!
Jan

-not true in our sense of the word.  Gluten appears in grains/grasses and
potatoes
are not members of the grass family.  I think he may have been confused by
the
starch.

-I think that all starches have gluten, but only wheat has gliadin.  That's
what's confusing, when people say we can't have gluten when in fact we
can't have gliadin.  I know that corn has gluten too, and so does rice, but
we can have that.  It's the protein in the gliadin and similar proteins in
barley and rye that get us.

-for celiacs it is the gliadin fraction of gluten found in wheat, barley,
rye, etc.

-Potatoes do not have the protein gliadin or any of the harmful prolimines
that are in rye and barley. "Gluten" is a common name also used for things
that are not toxic to a celiac (i.e., glutenous rice, corn gluten).

-and many people stated to check whether he puts flour, or some kind of
broth or other seasonings in the potatoes, or even whether they are
processed potatoes instead of "fresh", and of course, I know to ask these
questions.

Thank you all SO much!
I keep learning more and more about this disease, even after being GF for 5
yrs.  It's a never ending learning process!