From:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 19:32:52 -0700

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:31:33 -0700, Arletta Johnson wrote,

Hello everyone,

My question was for feedback about possible flavor preferences - for a
Barium Swallow -for my 11 yr. old grandson with a VERY strong gag reflex.
The doctor was descriptive about it, so he was of course worried.  Mostly,
I think he wanted the comfort of knowing I'd asked the question of others
who have had this done.  Just the fact that I did ask - actually seemed to
help - so thanks to everyone for being there.  :~)  Since I asked this so
late on the evening before the morning of the test, I really didn't expect
much response & was quite pleased that we received 18 total.

The majority agreed there really is no 'good' flavor & that it's
just something you have to get through.

The first one listed sums up the majority and there were also some who had
specific experience with the problems a strong gag reflex can pose, &/or
offered the suggestions that follow.

> ------------
> Sorry to report that there is no "good" flavor for the barium. It's
> just plain awful.  But the good news is that you don't really need
> to drink the entire contents to have a successful test.  I'm 5'5" and
> 120 lbs and only had to drink half of the barium to complete the test.
> ------------
> Sometimes the problem is solved by drinking it (quickly) through a straw.
> ------------
> When gagging is a problem the real difficulty isn't really the flavor,
> it's the texture.  That stuff is so thick & chalky he probably won't be
> able to swallow it without throwing up.  It's almost impossible for me
> & I'm an adult. Poor kid isn't going to like what he's in for.
> ------------
> Make sure you or an adult go in with him & just DON'T let them try to
> tell you it all in his head or a mind over matter type of thing.  I can
> say from years of experience it ISN'T.  When you have this problem you
> just can't help it & it's embarrasing!  I hope they are kind to him.
> ------------
> It may help if you tell him to leave the straw in his mouth and swallow
> more often without taking too big of a swallow each time but no long
> spaces in between swallows either.  Just keep it going down as quick
> as he can.
> ------------
> When my son had it they put chocolate syrup in it to give it a taste.
> He ended up having it tubed down his throat he couldn't stand it at all
> and wasn't able to drink it fast enough.
> ------------
> I've found that you can't take large gulps.  When you already gag a lot
> overfilling the mouth with anything makes it worse and they say: "take
> big gulps now, drink it real fast".  Yeah right, this might work for
> some but not if you gag easily!  Especially with the horrible thickness
> of the barium swallow.  Trying smaller amounts at a time and no breaks
> in between would be my advise to your grandson.  Tell him he's not the
> only one that has this trouble.  I hope he does & the ordeal isn't too
> hard on him.
> ------------
> The flavors stink. You never know, he may do ok?  One time I did fine
> even though I usually can't even get the first sip down.  I wish I knew
> why this happens. (the gag thing I mean) I know they've really gotten
> mad at me for this.  If he comes up with a secret to getting through it
> please let me know.
> ------------
> I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
> http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

 (I'm not signed on & wasn't able to in the time frame that I was working
 with.  I may do this now though and I would appreciate any private feedback
 from list members on their experience with this site.    /  Arletta)
> ------------
> My son too has a strong gag reflex.  At the orthodontist they have a
> spray that numbs that area and reduces an individuals gag reflex.  It
> worked well though the spray was reported to taste horrible.
> -------------

That last one is a great idea & unique, too.  It hadn't occurred to me but
it also isn't available for the GI tests (might change the way one swallows
which is an integral part of the test).  I like that list members think in
& outside of the box!  :~)  Since several inquired...  No, he hasn't been
diagnosed celiac and hasn't even been tested yet.  His primary symptoms are
throwing up often (especially early morning & to a lesser extent some
evenings), headaches, and the gagging problem may be another symptom -
according to some.  No pattern as to what food was eaten prior to these ever
increasing episodes as yet, but he's going to start a food intake diary with
his mom's help.

Some kind list members even inquired, after the fact, as to how it went for
him.  Thank you!  For any others who are curious...  He did his best!  He
almost made it through the SECOND attempt at the barium swallow.  For the
air-contrast to work they asked him to "hold the effervescent crystal
solution in his mouth, waiting until they were ready to take the pictures -
& swallow it on demand, so to speak.  They hadn't prepared him as well for
this part, I'm afraid.  He tried really hard but the gagging won with an
explosion!  :~(    They were nice though - seeing him try so hard.  They
apologized repeatedly, said he won't be able to get through it & can't be
expected to have the tests done in this way.  We don't know what they have
in mind now but they did mention sedation.

His doctor isn't available for a few weeks so any information as to what he
may be facing from list members would be appreciated.  What confuses my
daughter & myself is this... if you are sedated wouldn't that interrupt the
'normal swallow' concept?  I have told her that it's possible they have a
completely different procedure (ie: endoscopy) in mind (mixed feelings here).

1) Any ideas on what they may have in mind next?  2) Any experience with the
delphiformis site would be appreciated!  3) Also, now I'm curious as to
whether this strong gag reflex may be a much more common problem than I had
thought.  So, if others want to let me know of their own difficulties I'd be
interested to hear just how common this is.  -  It looks like this is
something he'll have to learn how to work around for the future so he's open
to any  suggestions and we'd all like hearing others experiences.

Thanks again to everyone and have a good & safe G/F Memorial Day weekend!

Arletta Johnson

G/F means:  Good Food, Good Friends, Good Fun!