C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Scott Sands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 08:51:30 -0700
Here's a case of "art imitates politics:"

John Cramer, a physicist at the UW, is also a successful science fiction
author.  In a recent book, "Einstein's Bridge," Cramer takes us into a near
future in which the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) is built near
Waxahachie, TX.  In that future, humankind communicates with an alien race
through a black hole, and that race tries to destroy them.  Two characters
creation.  Here's what Cramer's characters take credit for:

George Bush Sr.'s selection of Dan Quayle as a running mate over Bob Dole
(because the VP has become the executive office that drives scientific
inquiry, and Quayle is a NASA-supporter, whereas Dole was a SSC man).

(Ironically, the Bush-Dole administration actually takes care of Saddam
Hussein long before 2003 in the "original future."  George Sr. writes the
book "Boris, Saddam and I," exploring his apparently aggressive foreign
policy in that future.)

George Sr.'s vomiting during his visit to Japan (they gave him a virus to
inhibit his remembering to ask the Japanese Prime Minister for a
contribution to the SSC project)

Bill Clinton's election.  Don't ask me to explain this one.  I have a
love/hate relationship with the Clinton presidency, and it's pretty clear
that Cramer has some pretty strong feelings about Bill and his science
policy.

Such a book makes me wonder what might have been.  Politics is such a "what
have you done for me lately" business, and our culture has become (in my
opinion) infused by the idea -- do it quick, do it now, or lose your chance.
Cramer seems to be saying:  progress takes time, and failure is as important
as success.  Interesting viewpoint.

Scott