C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Scott Sands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 20:23:01 -0700
Mr. Barber:

I made no assertion that you weren't polished in the truth, though I think
your apparent belief that the word "rhetoric" conveys something negative
reveals a misunderstanding of at least that term.  To be polished in
rhetoric requires a knowledge of the truth.

I grow tired of partisian politics.  One should look up the term "Southern
Democrat" before one starts blaming or crediting a party platform for this,
that or any other thing.  The constituency we call "conservatives" today
was, long ago, "Democratic," and vice versa, as Kat pointed out.  And to
equate parties with ideologies like "conservative" or "liberal" nowadays is,
in fact, akin to naming the middle of the road twice.  Who gets credit for
ending segregation?  The people who suffered under it, Ken.  Not a party.
They ended it, because THEY convinced enough people that they really were
human, and that we really were stupid for not seeing it.

I find it strange that you feel the need to disparage the concept of
"rhetoric" after I considered that your using it might mean you were
complimenting Magenta for using her head.  Your comment about her heroes
still attacked her person rather than considering her ideas rationally, and
a friend would admit their wrongdoing and offer an apology -- which leads me
to wondering whether your friendship is something I would value.

You're right, Ken.  I don't know you.  I never claimed to.  Right now, I'm
not sure I want to.  I'm ready to be convinced otherwise when you are ready
to convince me.

Scott