RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:50:00 -0800
Hi Wes,

Heinerman's Book on Healing Juices says this about lettuce.

"During World War II codeine, an analgesic and antitussive compound, obtained
from opium was in very short supply. Attention turned to a compound in
lettuce called lactucarium, which has sedative and respiratory suppressant
properties similar to codeine and morphine, only much weaker. For a brief
period, extracts of lettuce juice were given to soldiers in need of pain
relievers or cough suppressant. It seemed to work fairly well, but when
codeine was again freely available, the lettuce juice extract was no longer
of any interest to scientists."

I experimented myself with 'lettuce' and found it does in fact have a
sedative effect.

This could also explain your experience with it.

-karl

: I already mentioned what my experience was with the effect of consuming
: green juices. It wasn't stimulation. I'm very aware of what the symptoms
: of stimulation are. All indications were that I felt sedated, following
: ingesting green juices. (Hypothesis: it's been claimed that high
: concentrations of alkaline minerals, including calcium, can have a
: sedating effect on the consumer.)  I experimented with a quart or more
: per day of green juices (various kinds), over an approximate 40 day
: period of time, in October/November 2000. I learned much from that
: experience. One of the things that I learned is that I prefer, and do
: best with, eating my greens whole, rather than juiced (plus, it's a lot
: more convenient).