C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:14:32 +0100
On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 7:16 pm, you wrote:
> kat, i never intended to dismiss the brits. sorry if i
> come accross that way. my intentions in the remark was
> to convey the idea that the BBC has a new reality to
> get accustomed too just like ABC, CBS AND NBC AND OF
> COURSE CNN. that reality is that no one can now just
> broadcast things and as in the past have no one
> challenge them. with the internet, fox news network
> and all the other ways to get news, the american media
> is being challenged. i think the bbc is going to find
> that they too will be challenged and not be immune.
> the BBC is a big part 0f THIS story. i watched a bbc
> reporter interviewed last night and very stiffly
> challenged in his remarks and bbc accused of "hounding
> someone to death." that is exactly what i meant in the
> statement that the bbc was implicated in this as much
> as the blair government.
>   the brits have been our allies thru think and thin.
> i'd never dismiss them.
>    i know blair has more challenges than bush right
> now. i noticed that he said he still stands by british
> intelligence.
> history might be better to blair than the brit
> population though. it was certainly like that with
> churchhill.
>    please no notes that he is no churchhill. only time
> will tell on that.

I think you misunderstand the situation re. BBC v. Government over here:-

It is nonsensical to suggest the BBC "hounded Mr O'Reilly to death", these are
the facts:-

        Mr O'Reilly gave details of Intelligence Service view about Governments use
of its report to Andrew Gilligan producing BBC report critical of Government
"spinning" the "facts" to bolster opinion to go to war.

        He was one of several Intelligence service and others used by the BBC as
background research to the programme.

        The Government were unhappy with the broadcast and started a witch hunt
trying to find who "leaked".

        Mr O'Reilly voluntarily informed his boss of his meeting with Andrew
Gilligan.

        The government claimed he was the mole and called on the BBC to name their
sources, the MOD (undoubtedly at Ministers insistence) switched his duties to
do virtually nothing all day.

        A Select Committee enquiry "grilled" Mr O'Reilly for a complete day - July
15th (the government sponsored members were particularly rude and beligerent
- see http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/events03/ukpol/iraq/foreign15jul.ram)
however the Report completely exonerated him and the reprehensible behaviour
of the MOD was strongly criticised.

As far as I'm aware the BBC made no further contact with Mr O'Reilly after his
initial meeting at the end of May, so it is comical for anyone to suggest the
BBC "hounded" the man at all. Although the government would love to plant
that seed in public opinion.

Real Power at the BBC is found at the Middle Management layer since the
program makers/producers have always had editorial independence, this
infuriates whichever party is in power, since, unlike other media sources,
they can't "court" the captain and expect the whole crew to toe the line. An
example of this is the current Communications Bill which has been crafted to
specifically allow Rupert Murdoch to buy a Terrestrial Channel (since, under
current legislation he is banned from owning more than a certain % of UK
media coverage.) I am sure Mr Blair is expecting the support of the Murdoch
stable of Newspapers and TV channels at the next Election.

Cheers

Deri

PS I am surprised you didn't include Fox and Sky in your list above, both of
which have recently been caught "fabricating" the news!!!