C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:13:33 -0400
Post hasn't arrived yet.  Humph!

I've always been a fast reader.  My parents used to say I started to read
very early on, when I was between three and four.  Don't know if I quite
believe that one, but I do know that by the time I was in the first grade, I
was reading books far beyond the 'Dick and Jane' readers which bored me
silly.

Both of my parents as well as my grandfather would read to me all the time
(my grandmother couldn't, as she was blind), and my mother said I'd be so
frustrated at one of them not finishing a story, I taught myself to read so
I could finish them myself!    Apparently she came into my bedroom one night
to find me huddled in bed with a flashlight, sounding out words to myself.
She used to say that since I was in such a hurry to be born that I came out
three months early, I never waited for anyone else!

Kat