C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 21:16:21 -0700
scott, lets be on first name basis here. rhetoric can
go both ways. the truth is just what it is. the
statement that people who instead of doing their jobs
were heros brought a one line statement.  i have
further explained my meaning to the statement. i
however will as, i always do, will stand by my
statement, until someone can convience me that it was
wrong. those people are a poor excuse for heros. it it
had be republicans doing it, they would have been
theives and not heros. i may never be eloquent, scott,
but, you'll never be in doubt of what i think.

--- Scott Sands <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Mr. Barber:
>
> I made no assertion that you weren't polished in the
> truth, though I think
> your apparent belief that the word "rhetoric"
> conveys something negative
> reveals a misunderstanding of at least that term.

> To be polished in
> rhetoric requires a knowledge of the truth.

not true, scott, there are many people in the public
eye that are good at rhetoric that would not know the
truth if it hit them in the face.

> I grow tired of partisian politics.

all politics is partisian by nature.
 One should look up the term "Southern
> Democrat"
before one starts blaming or crediting a
> party platform for this,
> that or any other thing.
i was borned and rasied in alabama and abhored
seqgregation even as i entered high school. don't
lecture me about southern democrats. i knew them up
close and personal.

 The constituency we call
> "conservatives" today
> was, long ago, "Democratic,"

how long has robert byrd been out of the limelight? i
was not aware that he had left.

" and vice versa, as Kat
> pointed out.  And to
> equate parties with ideologies like "conservative"
> or "liberal" nowadays is,
> in fact, akin to naming the middle of the road
> twice.  Who gets credit for
> ending segregation?  The people who suffered under
> it, Ken.  Not a party.

well scott, i disagree with you at least partially.
MLK and the naacp we marching and protesting and
certainly deserve lots of credit, but, it was the
republican party that took up their cause and passed
legislation and it was ike that sent troops into
arkanas. how many protest would it have taken to
change fulbrite, wallace et al? you have to give ike
and the party some of the credit too.
> They ended it, because THEY convinced enough people
> that they really were
> human, and that we really were stupid for not seeing
> it.

it seems that it was easier to convience the
republican party than it was to convience the
democrats if i read history correctly. history is
history. although there are many who'd want to rewrite
it.

> I find it strange that you feel the need to
> disparage the concept of
> "rhetoric" after I considered that your using it
> might mean you were
> complimenting Magenta for using her head.  Your
> comment about her heroes
>still attacked her person rather than considering
> her ideas rationally, and
> a friend would admit their wrongdoing and offer an
> apology --
mag and i have complemented each other many times, on
the otherhand we have went at each other quite
vigoursly.

 which leads me
> to wondering whether your friendship is something I
> would value.

  i really don't care, scott, if you would value my
friendship or not, i'll discuss anything you want to
discuss, but, i'll not dance around like on eggshells
just to have you call me a friend.

> You're right, Ken.  I don't know you.  I never
> claimed to.  Right now, I'm
> not sure I want to.  I'm ready to be convinced
> otherwise when you are ready
> to convince me.

scott, you have the right to be a friend or not. this
is america, you do not have to be my friend. that is
your decision not mine.

http://search.yahoo.com