C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 22:43:11 +0100
On Thursday 01 May 2003 4:44 pm, you wrote:
> What gets me is how the feds expected the local governments to implement
> security measures and pay for it when local budgets are strained to the
> max.  *shakes head*
>
> I'm apalled by stories I hear from friends who are disabled and living on
> SS or other fixed income.  They do without much-needed meds, adaptive
> equipment, aides, etc. because they can't afford them and the local
> services are fraying at the edges.  A local non-profit  pharmacy that
> issues free scripts to the poor is in the danger of closing down because of
> the lack of funding and a downward trend in donations.  There have been a
> lot of layoffs in the local area and so people are hurting, badly.  However
> much I loathed Clinton's personal messes, I think we were better off under
> the Dems than the Republicans, as far as ADA rights and the economy is
> concerned.
>
> Kat

There's the nub. If you are concerned with re-distributing wealth from those
who can afford it to those who can't (which is what the schemes you mention
above entail), it means living under a higher burden of taxation than you
currently enjoy.

As a Welshman living in the UK I must admit I don't understand why there is a
difference between attitudes to State and Federal taxation. In the UK (at my
pay level) I pay about 42.5% in Direct Taxation,  17.5% in Indirect Tax (on
most Goods & Services), and Local Tax is paid based on my house value. In
addition there is hefty "Excise Duty" on 'luxuries' - petrol, booze & fags -
various sundry taxes & "Licence Fees":-

        Road Tax Licence
        TV Licence (paid in full to the BBC)
        Betting Tax

As you can see most taxation is levied at national level, part of this is paid
back to Local Authorities based on population demographics.

The UK is by no means highly taxed (compared to other N Europe countries) and
personally I am more in favour of moving the ratio towards Direct taxation
rather than Indirect, and paying higher taxes - although I'm unfortunately in
the minority.

What's the tax levels like in the US.

Cheers

Deri