RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:40:25 -0800
From Science Now (online "Science" magazine), 1 April 2003:

[Warning: article below discusses animal testing.]

"Plastics Ingredient Scrambles Chromosomes"

Short quotes from the article:

A compound used in many common plastic products, including baby
bottles and dental sealants, causes genetic abnormalities in mice...

In August 1998, geneticist Patricia Hunt noticed a bizarre change
in the eggs of the female mice she was studying. For some
inexplicable reason, the chromosomes in 40% of the eggs looked
abnormal--a wild jump from the 1% to 2% abnormality her lab
typically observes...

After a good bit of detective work, Hunt and her colleagues at
Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, pinned the
meiotic abnormalities on a chemical called bisphenol A (BPA)
leaching from the damaged plastic.

PS I posted this article because I believe some list members
will find it of interest. If you prefer that I not post general
health items, and instead limit posts to explicit raw-food topics
only, let me know by private email.

Tom Billings