From:
Eric Wertman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:13:14 -0500
Linux generally doesn't require a lot of horsepower... But if you are
planning on using it as a workstation/desktop, I would not recommend
skimping on RAM.  I would consider the below a minimum requirement for a
reasonable Linux workstation-

PII 350 or so
Any Nvidia graphics card - their linux driver support is the best, and
the cards are plentiful and cheap
10G hard drive
256M RAM (512 is better)
Any Ethernet card is likely to work.. The Netgear FA310Tx is cheap and
works for sure.
Modem - Be careful here... There's a decent lucent chipset driver for
linmodems, but a hardware modem is your best bet.
Printer - Be careful here too.. Many new printers require large and
complex drivers that just don't exist for linux, especially the very
cheap printers.
I'm sure that most cheap sound cards work fine, just do some research.

HTH

Eric

hi there listers, iam a real frugel kinda builder, i wanted to know what
kind system reqments are for lyniux red hat are there, i build older
model systems that poeple on low bugets can afford,like the smallest i
will go is a 400 cpu and aint had a need to build a big bad fast as
lighting 2.4 or higher yet iam perrty comfortable running my gateway is
a 900 cpu with a 40. gig hard drive with ram punched out at 512 mb, so
what would make a good system to run red hat on  on a buget.jerry the
fatboy crider

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com