BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:44:18 -0500
Its a sad state of affairs when a bunch of folks who are surrounded by
history books and references can't locate the site of significant
historical naval engagements.   Tsk. Tsk.

It was Perry at Erie.  Lawrence was the skipper of the Chesapeak.  The
U.S.S. Lawrence was Perry's Flag Ship, until he transferred his flag
(Don't give up the ship!) to the Niagara.  "Don't give up the ship!"
were Lawrence's dieing words.  (Very romantic...I suspedt liberties
have been taken).

A lot of young naval officers learned their trade in the Mediteranian
and were in command in 1812.  Again, this is from memory and suspect.
But if you go to the PHMC site for the Niagara, they probably have a
bunch of these details.

Faragut, Admiral of some repute in the Civil War served as midshipman
under his step father in 1812, Porter, I think.  Seems the training we
give young men is important.  Certainly the concentrated company of
men, being supervised and cared for by men, is an experience that
shapes in ways other than that of more diverse experiences.

-jc

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 05:03  AM, Jim Hicks wrote:

> I did a google search and came up with Lebanon, but Libya is in the
> news this week paying every one off and I think I saw Tripoli there.
> They were talking about how much everyone got and I thought I heard a
> sum for the Italians in the 20 - 30 millions?
> the US's only got 6 - 8 I think.
> jh

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890